See photos (5)

Le parlement de Flandre

Classical, Gothic, Civic building in Douai
  • The former Parliament of Flanders, created in 1668 as a Sovereign Council and established as a Parliament in Tournai in 1686, was transferred to Douai in 1714. It moved to the refuge of the Marchiennes abbey. The latter, rebuilt in the 16th century, includes large granaries above a covered quay overlooking the river and a façade pierced with arcades. It was in this wing that the ‘Grand Chambre’ was fitted out in 1762. It is decorated with allegorical paintings by Nicolas Brenet representing...
    The former Parliament of Flanders, created in 1668 as a Sovereign Council and established as a Parliament in Tournai in 1686, was transferred to Douai in 1714. It moved to the refuge of the Marchiennes abbey. The latter, rebuilt in the 16th century, includes large granaries above a covered quay overlooking the river and a façade pierced with arcades. It was in this wing that the ‘Grand Chambre’ was fitted out in 1762. It is decorated with allegorical paintings by Nicolas Brenet representing Justice, Religion, Prudence, Strength, Science and Truth. Above the fireplace is a portrait of Louis XIV by the same artist, after the work of Rigaud, the King’s official portraitist. Today, the building houses the Tribunal de Grande Instance and the Court of Appeal of Nord-Pas de Calais.
Rates
Payment methods
  • Bank card
  • Cheque
  • Holiday cheques
  • Cash
  • Transfers
  • Rates
  • Full-fare
    5 €
  • Reduce rate
    3.50 €
Close