Here are the secrets of our Douai cooks, for a gourmet and quality fry:
– choose a suitable variety of potato, such as Bintje, which is floury and holds up very well in the deep fryer.
– wash the potatoes, peel them, and cut them into regular shaped chips.
– Soak the chips and then dry them. This removes the starch that can give the fries an unpleasant aftertaste.
– Cook the fries in the deep fryer, using unrefined beef fat or ‘blanc de boeuf’, at 140°C for 6 to 7 minutes.
– Allow the chips to rest for a few minutes.
– Proceed to the second stage of cooking: 2 to 3 minutes at 180°C.
– Drain and season.
All that’s left to do is to enjoy the fries, either on their own or with a good typical northern dish! But sometimes, the most pleasant thing is to be served… So, why not come and visit one of our excellent chip shops?