Douai haut porte de Valenciennes-fortification-trace-Douaisis-Nord-France (c) D Langlet - Douaisis Tourisme.jpg

Porte de Valenciennes

Listed or registered (CNMHS), Gothic, City gate in Douai
  • Formerly known as the Vacqueresse Gate (where cows were driven through), it was rebuilt in sandstone in 1453 and renamed Notre-Dame. Originally, it only had a central passage. In 1880, when the ramparts still existed, two lateral openings were made to allow vehicles to pass through. It was through this gate that Louis XIV entered Douai in 1667.
  • Spoken languages
    • French